Miracle Baby Princess Fiona

Miracle Baby Princess Fiona
Miracle Baby Princess Fiona

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Earth Day Resolutions


I always start these blog posts out by saying, "I was watching Oprah the other day". Okay, I really do like her show. She had on families that were being challenged, "Can you live on less?" These two families were challenged to spend less; less money on groceries and eating out, less time shopping, watching TV, on the computer, video games, and turning on and off lights. They were also challenged to get rid of the plastic water bottles and Oprah provided them with a Brita.

It was really amazing to see these people struggle because they're just like the rest of us. These families, one with three teenagers and another with two younger kids had TVs and computers in every room and literally struggled as you kept hearing them profess how bored they were and how there was NOTHING to do.

By the end of the week they were eating more family dinners together, interacting more with one another, and becoming more physically active.

Personally, I remember the greatest thing about being a kid was being outdoors, running around, and FINDING things to do. Everything was an adventure, an exploration where we used our creativity to find things to do.

I watched this mom talk about how when she took the video games away from her son, it was similar to watching a drug addict go through withdrawals.

I admit, we watch a fair amount of TV, we don't have one in every room, and we limit ourselves on the computer. Dom and I agreed we are happy that we do always sit down for meals together and thank GOD he's not one of those ADULTS who are addicted to Playstation. Yet, we do eat out a little more than we should.

What I did decide to change was the energy habits such as leaving lights on, the computer on, and even the coffee pot plugged in all the time. I'm starting to turn off the fax machine/copier when I'm not using it. I'm listening to the radio less. Silence is nice. I've even started purchasing the energy efficient light bulbs which Dominic has been putting in the lights we use the most.

I hope my family enjoys the last supply of water bottles. They are no more. I bought a Brita and we'll be using that from now on. Yes, the bottles are convenient, but they are creating too much waste, even though they are recyclable.

Then I also noticed how many paper towels I go through. Maybe a roll every couple DAYS! I can happily say this last week, I only used one roll.

Yeah, so I know all this living GREEN is the rage now, the politically correct movement of our country, but everyone now agrees our planet is in danger and our government is taking steps, even if both parties aren't agreeable. I used to think one family, one person wouldn't make much difference. Well, I USED to think that way. Now that I'm committed to some change, I hope I can pass that along to you.

1 comment:

Dina said...

i think if everyone does a little something to make a difference, it would help.

good for you!