Miracle Baby Princess Fiona

Miracle Baby Princess Fiona
Miracle Baby Princess Fiona

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Van Halen Reunion Tour

In 1984, after we got cable, and I was an MTV regular at the ripe age of 9, I patiently waited for JUMP to make its hourly appearance in the video rotation. (MTV actually used to play videos - good ones too). When JUMP came on, I pushed the coffee table back to butt up to the couch and moved the two arm chairs in to the dining room within a matter of 10 seconds - - and then I JUMPED - I JUMPED all over the room -just like Dave.

I am and always will be a very big fan of rock n roll. I might have been not quite a teenager (plus I was a girl who wasn't having tea parties)when the original Van Halen was at their height, but I was no less of a fan than my older brother was in his teenage years. Eddie's mastery of the guitar had an effect on me and the showman that was David Lee Roth was someone I immitated and enjoyed.

I also remember being on the back of the bus in 5th grade when the announcement was made that Dave had been replaced by Sammy. "What are they going to call themseleves now?? Van Hagar?" someone said.

Here I am, some 20 or so years later, still a huge fan of Van Halen and truly convinced that the Dave years were the best years. Obviously I was at the concert last night with my sister-in-law (fan) husband (big fan) and brother-in-law (even bigger fan). The Even Bigger Fan (V) was disappointed, as I was, because Dave forgot the words to songs he sang on a regular occasion for 6 years. I felt a little betrayed by Dave. After all, I counted how many outfits he wore in the Panama video and I even played his first solo, "Crazy From the Heat" to death. C'mon Dave Gimmie a Break! He was slower, and he didn't hit ANY of his high notes (The Even Bigger Fan also noted). I realize he's old, fried, and can't JUMP like he used to. I commented in the car on the ride back, "You can't ever really go back to the past."

Still, I AM the girl who always looks on the brightside. It was great to be there and enjoy a night with my hubby, V, & Marie. I had always been disappointed as a kid, that maybe I would never get to see them in concert. Yes, Michael Anthony was gone, but he was barely missed and his replacement, Wolfgang Van Halen, who is obviously respected and loved by his father, is so very likeable.

Eddie never ever disappoints. I've seen him with Gary Cherone in 98, Sammy in 04, and last night. His is a master, innovator, and a commander of his machine. He twists and contorts his hands and fingers in a way that so masterfully brings to life that wailing, screeching, mesmerizing, and magical sound that is THE GUITAR.

So after a long night and a woken baby upon return, Dom and I were talking about the concert. Well, Dom was talking and I was mumbling responses.

"We should have gotten front row," he whispered, "that would have been awesome."

"Mhhmm," I answered.

"How much do you think they make in one night?"

"I dunno, a lot?"

"I wonder if Thursday night is sold out??"

"You're picking up the kids and I have church," I reminded him.

"Oh, yeah," pause pause and more pause, "That was a really great concert wasn't it?!"

GOODNIGHT DOM!!!

2 comments:

Rizzi5 said...

your the best! i still had a great time, even though i am only a "fan"-i can understand your disappointment. V came home for lunch and we read the reviews on line. None the less- it was fun night out.

"And the Cradle will Rock" - Eddie can still rock.

E said...

At least we know you are BON JOVI'S BIGGEST FAN EVER - and we will be rocking with you when he comes to town....